Idle questions

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 31 10:19:35 EDT 1999

>On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:59:36 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:
>
>>How many times did I have to read Narnia before I noticed
>>*anything*?  5, 6?  I suppose I have the excuse of being Jewish
>>-- the lion and the lamb reference in Dawn Treader went right
>>over my head.  Confused me, a little, though.
>
>Well, I think that's a reasonable excuse.  It certainly went past *me* the
>first few times.  The first copy I owned was a two-volume set published by
>some Christian book publisher.  I could never figure out why they had
>published a children's fantasy series.

<snicker> Would y'all believe that I never got it at all until someone
mentioned in passing on this list that the tales were allegorical to
the Christian myths?  I never noticed!  I suspect, however, that this
comes from being raised in a totally nontheistic environment and being
an atheist myself.  I was so little exposed to Christianity as a child
that even now I know more about the belief systems of religions like
Buddhism or Islam than the one that is most common in the country that
I grew up in...  I suspect that my grandmother has always been
secretely horried at my heathen upbringing (being quite Catholic
herself), but her one attempt to rectify my parents' lapse when I was
six ended up being so catastrophically embarrassing for them that when
I happened to be telling the story to a friend over dinner one evening
13 years later I doscovered that my parents never knew it had
happened! :)

Alright, I'm going to stop rambling now.  It's just so early in the
morning, and I'm stuck at work being bored...

Courtney

P.S.  If I've offended anyone with my irrevent attitude toward
religions in general, it's not because I was trying to be rude or
offensive.  If you don't share my sense of amusement about the whole
situation, I'm sorry.