DWJ book suggestion

Jill Wadsworth jill at e-z.net
Mon Aug 30 18:48:55 EDT 1999

>>          I'd suggest "Witch Week" as a starting point, but I think
>> I'm biased because that was my first!  *grin* On a more serious
>> note, I really would pick WW--the sense of humor alone is a good
>> reason, but beyond that I always appreciated the fact that it's one
>> of the few books in which DWJ relied heavily on the perspectives of
>> multiple characters to relay the story. For the most part, the
>> "good" characters in it are very likable and realistic, whereas some
>> of her others (can't think of any at the moment) didn't have that
>> same lifelike quality that always leaves me wondering what happened
>> after the book ended.

My very first DWJ book was "The Power of Three", in the Magicquest series
thing, which is the only reason I can think of that I didn't go looking for
more by her. I loved this book, and if the person is a fantasy reader, this
is one of the best, as far as I'm concerned. The idea of magic existing in
the real world, which isn't really the real world or is a skewed version of
it, was so enchanting to me at 12 (or younger). I guess, then, if the person
is relatively young, that's a good book to suggest.

Jill Wadsworth