DWJ book suggestion

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 30 06:52:23 EDT 1999

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Denise DeGraf wrote:

>          I'd suggest "Witch Week" as a starting point, but I think
> I'm biased because that was my first!  *grin* On a more serious
> note, I really would pick WW--the sense of humor alone is a good
> reason, but beyond that I always appreciated the fact that it's one
> of the few books in which DWJ relied heavily on the perspectives of
> multiple characters to relay the story. For the most part, the
> "good" characters in it are very likable and realistic, whereas some
> of her others (can't think of any at the moment) didn't have that
> same lifelike quality that always leaves me wondering what happened
> after the book ended.

For some reason, I didn't actually like WW as much as some of DWJ's
others. I think it was because I didn't really connect with any of the
characters - they didn't seem very likable to me, except right at the
end.

And Chrestomanci's only in half of it. (sulk)

>          Incidentally, has anyone else wondered why WW's Charles is
> one of the few characters to use the "vague" look, is powerful, yet
> *didn't* become a Chrestomanci?

He got lucky. :)

WW is after "Charmed Life", so they already know where the next
Chrestomanci is coming from.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."