Jane Yolen

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 03:49:02 EDT 1999

In a message dated 8/30/99 1:34:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Melissa at Proffitt.com writes:

>Oh, there's a topic
>for discussion--what one DWJ book would you give to someone who had never
>read her stuff before?

        That's a *hard* one!  "Howl" and "Fire and Hemlock" are probably my
favorites, but I think the one book I would give to someone would be "Charmed
Life."  I don't know why though!  I'm just going by a gut feeling.  Hmm, that
doesn't make for interesting discussion though.  Let me see....  I suppose
because it's where I first met Chrestomanci, and he's my favorite DWJ
character.  And I really like Cat.  And I love the wild inventiveness of
Gwendolen's spells (especially the stained glass windows)  Umm... I love the
fantasy world DWJ creates with it's own rules and logic.  I like that Cat has
to face genuine danger.  I like that he has to come to terms with himself and
his abilities.  I like this book, dammit!  And I think it's as good an
introduction to the delights of DWJ's work as any.  But that's just me.

        Great topic idea!  Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.

        Max