DWJ book suggestion

Denise DeGraf amergin at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 30 02:13:48 EDT 1999

At 10:31 pm 8/29/1999, Melissa Proffitt hammered into the ethereal keyboard:
>Oh, there's a topic
>for discussion--what one DWJ book would you give to someone who had never
>read her stuff before?
         I'd suggest "Witch Week" as a starting point, but I think I'm
biased because that was my first!  *grin*  On a more serious note, I really
would pick WW--the sense of humor alone is a good reason, but beyond that I
always appreciated the fact that it's one of the few books in which DWJ
relied heavily on the perspectives of multiple characters to relay the
story.  For the most part, the "good" characters in it are very likable and
realistic, whereas some of her others (can't think of any at the moment)
didn't have that same lifelike quality that always leaves me wondering what
happened after the book ended.  Also, I like to think that WW has some sort
of strong tie to DWJ as well through the character of Nan...  An
imaginative girl whose natural talent ends up being expressed through
writing, comes up with the story of how the universes/worlds are split, and
is told by her friend (Estelle) that when she becomes an author as an
adult, she'll write about it and her stories will "all really be true,
somewhere" (last page).
         Incidentally, has anyone else wondered why WW's Charles is one of
the few characters to use the "vague" look, is powerful, yet *didn't*
become a Chrestomanci?  I think there's another thing about him that that
suggested it, but I can't remember it now...
Denise DeGraf