Jane Yolen

Denise DeGraf amergin at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Sun Aug 29 23:56:51 EDT 1999

 >I'm not an english major, and don't do analysis at all very well, but I had
 >noticed that Jane Yolen as a children's author never comes up. I know that
 >she did some adult books (Briar Rose), but she also did YA fiction. I
 >haven't read "Dragon's Blood" or "Heart's Blood" in a while, but both of
 >them seemed to be very good. Anyone have a comment on that?

I believe I have all three of her Dragon novels, because I fell in love
with them during junior high...  I know I certainly have read all three
multiple times!  Oddly enough, the last time read them, I found that there
was a lot that I *didn't* like--including the main characters!  I guess I
judge things from a perspective that didn't quite fit with how I saw life
as a teenager, so what had been perfectly acceptable in the books suddenly
became unpleasant.  That's one of the things I love about DWJ: her
characters are rich enough to have bits and pieces that I can identify with
over a long span of years...
Denise