L'Engle and Yolen

sheeyun at ix.netcom.com sheeyun at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 29 19:06:54 EDT 1999

I throbbed along with _A Wrinkle in Time_ when I was ten. I tried very hard to like _A Swiftly
Tilting Planet_ and a _Wind in the Door_ when I was older, with more success in one case than the
other. The last time I read any L'Engle was around 1990 when I had a go at _Many Waters_ and read
a number of other things.

Her works appeal to a lot of people, including me as a child. What I liked in them when I liked
them was Romantic Didacticism. I'm doubt that's all there is to like! But they aren't for me, now.

I have read little Yolen, but I've read a few "adult" books and a couple of "children's" books. I
don't think I could say more than that, to my taste, she's Highly Variable. I do think that _Cards
of Grief_ is one of the more interesting and complex works I've read, and that it astonishes me.

Mary Ann
Chaque une a son gout.