intro and other stuff

mwarner at azstarnet.com mwarner at azstarnet.com
Sun Aug 29 17:27:49 EDT 1999

(other people, don't read this if you don't want to, it's kinda off topic)

Max:
Wow! I didn't think somebody would actually care enough to give me all that
extremely precious advice! I find all the things you said to be true, I
think my main problem is that I don't push myself enough to go and write
things (in other other words I'm lazy). The only times I've written stuff
that I consider good is when I have to do it for school, and when I'm not
forced to write about something that I just don't care for. Fortunately for
me, my english teacher last year (in (9th grade) encouraged me a lot and
gave me good advice on how to improve. I guess I'm at the point in my life
where I have to start thinking on what I want to do for the rest of it, and
since literature is where most of my talent seems to be centered, I thought
it the obvious choice.
	Some ideas I have for books/stories/whatever-you-want-to-call-it are doing
one of those books where it's just two people writing to each other, except
the letters would be e-mails between me and my sister (who lives in Chile
and is ten years older than me) over this past three years. The nice thing
about that idea is that I already have all the information I need right
here. The other idea would be to write a children's book and illustrate it
(that's where the other part of my talent is), which I thought would be
interesting. I always hate it when the pictures in books don't look like
the pictures I've already built up in my head.
	As for writing workshops, I almost got in one this summer, but at the end
I decided to take the drawing classes instead, which maddeningly enough
were on at the same time so I was forced to choose. I'm gonna try and see
if my school has any, although the idea of sharing my writing with other
people makes me pretty nervous. The thing I'm trying to do now is keep a
journal, and I think that helps. It's like when I start writing in there I
find out things that I didn't even know I was thinking, it's pretty cool.
	Well, I don't think I can tell you enough how much your e-mail helped me
(or will help me) in fact I've just printed out a copy =)
Thanks again,

Antonia

PS: Has anybody here read Maniac by John Peel? The book was not great but
it was still good, and what I found funny was that the main character
wanted to be a writer, and her favorite author was (you guessed it) DWJ.
Anyway, just a worthless piece of information...