intro and other stuff

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 15:54:28 EDT 1999

In a message dated 8/29/99 12:14:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JOdel at aol.com
writes:

>For the opportunity to become intoxicated on WORDS wealded with outrageous
>verve and irony, I would recommend Leon Gardner.

        Did you perhaps mean Leon Garfield? I love his work too.  I agree
that he's a wonderful writer for language.  Also for plot, for
characterisation, for those insights into human nature.  Setting, too.  I get
a feeling of being in another complete world reading his work, similar to the
feeling I get reading DWJ.  There's a sort of Joan Aiken / Charles Dickens
thing happening there.  Plenty of humour too.  PLUS he's written a lot of
books so anyone needing a Garfield fix has plenty to choose from. ;)  I
haven't read his most recent work for younger children.  Have to try and
track some down, and the other writers you mention too.  My 'must read' pile
has apparently taken on a life of it's own and is now replicating itself.
There are little 'must read' piles throughout the house and even in my car
now....  Where will it all end?

>Note to the list. I tried to send a fairly long post recently and recieved
>back a message that Tanaqui2 was not accepting messages from my account.
>But,
>no one else appears to have gotten it either, and I did not get it back
>myself, despite haveing posted it to the whole list. Clearly there was a
>glitch somewhere. Is there a limitation on the size of posts?

        Sorry!  AOL enables me to block e-mails from specific individuals, or
to block them from everyone except those individuals I specify.  I have been
getting a lot of really offensive spam and would add each of these individual
spammers to the 'block' list.  However, about two weeks ago the list reached
its apparent limit of 100 names.  The fact that I have received 100
unsolicited and offensive junk mailings annoyed me so much that I switched to
blocking everyone except for those addresses I specified  (ie all the people
in my address book, including the DWJ list.)  Unfortunately it didn't occur
to me that I might get individual mailings from people on the list, (duh) so
if anyone has tried to send me something and been rudely rebuffed, I
apologize; it was not at all intentional.  Just add a quick note to a post
you're sending to the list anyway, and I'll add your e-mail address to the
unblocked list.  (JOdel, I've added yours if you want to try sending again?)
So, once again all, sorry!
        I'm not sure why the list didn't receive your e-mail though.  Is it
possible that you put Tanaquil2 in the send to box, instead of
dwj at suberic.net?  Tsk, these internet vagaries are beyond me...  :)

        Nothing to add for now so
        Bye!

        Max

PS:  Tanaqui and Tanaquil2 are two different individuals on this list.
Tanaqui is TWeaver I think (is that right?)  and Tanaquil2 (with an 'l' and a
'2') is moi, yours truly.

        Bye again,