Weekend Finds / SWM Available (Leicester, UK)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 04:29:35 EDT 1999

'Morning all!

Not too bad a weekend for books, considering the strict rationing I have to
apply at present (due to space limitations, and a large queue of unread books).
Of note:

Homeward Bounders (Ace Fantasy, 1986).

Interesting for two reasons.  One, illustrations:  the cover is quite a good
picture of the _Flying Dutchman_, although how a ship that rides that high in
the water avoids capsizing when sailing so close to the wind I am not sure;
also a really _awful_ frontispiece of _them_ at a spherical gaming table.  Since
I forgot to bring the book to work, all I can say is that one of the pictures, I
think the awful one, is by C. Vess.

Also interesting because it appears to be a complete clone of my own copy
(magnet, 1982 or 3).  The same pagination, the same layout and the same font.
Does anyone know if it is common for books on one side of the Atlantic to be
essentially a photocopy (or photolithograph or whatever) of the edition from the
other side?

The Last Dragon and other stories by E. Nesbit (Puffin, 198something).

Hilariously funny, and shows again what a debt DWJ owes to Nesbit.  Opens with
the words "Of course you all know that dragons were once as common as
motor-omnibuses are now, and almost as dangerous."  I couldn't stop laughing.

Finally, is anyone looking for a copy of Sudden Wild Magic?  There is a Gollancz
hardback (edition with the Ebru-like cover) available for L9.95 from Black Cat
Books, 36 Silver Arcade, Leicester, tephelone +44 (0)116 251 2756.  (They will
do mail order).  FWIW this edition corrects one misprint that appears in the
Avonova edition.

Philip.

PS sorry, the Homeward Bounders is not available - my mother has already claimed
it...

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK