Feminist issue?

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Wed Aug 18 02:09:09 EDT 1999

Deborah:

+ trouble me.  Unlike critic John Stephens, I will not just say
+ that she has a steretyped presentation of women.

A lot of the time, though, it's easier to empathise with the boys.
Diana writes such good characters, it took me a long time to notice
that I was identifying with a different gender. Diana was pretty tomboyish too.

I don't quite know what to think of _Black Maria_ and its gender-divide.
That sort of segregation strikes me as so astonishingly wrong it's hard
to think round it.

+ I don't think it's true.  But there is certainly some truth in
+ it.  Additionally, I'm very troubled by her attitude toward fat
+ as a sign of evil or sloth.  Does this lessen my enjoyment of her
+ books?  Hell, no.  Does it give me something more to think about?
+ Of course!

Maree and Millie are plump and pretty impressive people. The Giantess
of _Power of Three_ is just in a phase, and is not an evil or slothful
person. She just likes food and doesn't get along with anyone on the Moor
while an extremely powerful curse pulses out evil near her.

Tanaqui