Kids, reading, and "good" lit...

Thu Aug 12 14:06:50 EDT 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 01:54:52 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>> > I was a little hesitant to bring up Austen, because my own
>> > personal version of the Awful Boyfriend was an English Major, who
>> > was absolutely scathing about idjits like meself who actually
>> > liked Austen :(
>>
>> An English major who didn't like Austen?  Sounds like he should have
>> been looking in the mirror for the idjit....
>
>I'm reminded of the reason oft given for why so many people don't like
>Shakespeare. Austen was a great writer and all, but if your only
>exposure to her is when you're dissecting her novels and trying to
>reconstruct her technique and all, you might decide you don't actually
>like her work much.

I know people have this experience all the time, but I don't understand
it--since dissecting a novel has always *added* to my enjoyment of it.  Oh
well, everyone's different I suppose.  But you're right, it's easy to kill
someone's taste for reading a book by making it required reading, huh?

>Oh. Um. This is my first post to the list, by the way. *waves*
>It's amazing, I'm actually getting *mail*... :)

Welcome!  New voices are GREAT!

Melissa Proffitt