Kids, reading, and "good" lit...

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 12 13:54:52 EDT 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:55:06 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
> > I was a little hesitant to bring up Austen, because my own
> > personal version of the Awful Boyfriend was an English Major, who
> > was absolutely scathing about idjits like meself who actually
> > liked Austen :(
>
> An English major who didn't like Austen?  Sounds like he should have
> been looking in the mirror for the idjit....

I'm reminded of the reason oft given for why so many people don't like
Shakespeare. Austen was a great writer and all, but if your only
exposure to her is when you're dissecting her novels and trying to
reconstruct her technique and all, you might decide you don't actually
like her work much.

Oh. Um. This is my first post to the list, by the way. *waves*
It's amazing, I'm actually getting *mail*... :)

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."