Kids, reading, and "good" lit...

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 21:29:35 EDT 1999

deborah at suberic.net writes:

 >>Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
 >>there wasn't even any
 >>question of anyone else telling Sophie that she was untalented or
 >>worthless, was there?  Tanaquil mentioned "socialization", but the quote
 >>given ("everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worst...."
 >>p.1)-- is rather ambiguous on whether this really was outside opinion, or
 >>just Sophie's own decision that that was what everyone knew.  Makes it even
 >>more her (and therefore my/our) own doing.

 >Hmm.  The way I'm phrasing it in The Dreaded Thesis is that
 >Ingary is telling Sophie many stories of how she ought to be
 >(there's Beautiful Girl, for example, and Wicked Wizard, and
 >Crotchety Old Lady) and the one she chooses to listen to is
 >Eldest of Three.  When she picks another story (Crotchety Old
 >Lady) she's still picked a story that society offers her, but
 >it's one which gives her a voice.
 >Then she learns she can keep the voice when she leaves the
 >persona.

        I love this idea.  The Dreaded Thesis sounds pretty darn nifty.  Did
you ever read "Plague of Angels" by Sheri S Tepper?  The heroine of that
story starts off in an archetypal village, and what you say about 'Beautiful
Girl', 'Wicked Wizard', 'Crotchety Old Lady', and 'Eldest of Three' really
brought it to mind.  You might like her work, though I've heard some people
describe her as strident.  I don't agree, but she's definitely issues-driven
(tsk, that word again) and some of her stories ("Beauty" comes to mind) can
be pretty harrowing.  But anyway, you might like to give "Plague of Angels" a
shot, if only for the archetypal village at the beginning.

    Max (just call me motor-mouth.  Honestly, I've talked more on these
e-mails than I talk in a *year*)