Kids, reading, and "good" lit...

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 21:25:12 EDT 1999

deborah at suberic.net writes:

>I was actually a little surprised in Dark Lord of Derkholm when
>it turned out Derk was was right about Mara, even if it wasn't of
>her own free will.  I was hoping he was just misinterpreting her
>actions -- not seeing, as Sophie doesn't see.

        (hanging head in shame) I haven't read this yet (not my fault; the
!@#$% book club hasn't sent me my copy yet and I don't want to buy it
elsewhere only to end up with multiple copies and a purse even slenderer than
it already is.)

>>DWJ teaching children to question everything.  Shocking!

 >Hah.  Wait until I'm done with my thesis (I'm thinking September,
 >the year 2035 c.e.).

        I know, I know (wringing hands).

 >DWJ as constantly questioning the security
 >and reliability of meaning and language at every turn.  Very
 >postmodern and deconstructive, but I'm trying really hard to make
 >it readable and not spewage of jargon.

     Spewage of jargon from you?  Impossible!  Your thesis sounds yummy.
Can't wait to see how it turns out--you are going to publish it, right?
Right?  Say 'yes' !

    Max