Covers

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 03:55:39 EDT 1999

> explain...First of all, Sophie looks like she is a 12 year old playing dress
> up--her hair looks like a white wig (yet her eyebrows are black) and she has
> no wrinkes whatsoever.  SHe also is wearing rainbow striped socks.(?)  FOr
> some reason, the dog that becomes Percival has a pair of spectacles perched on
> his nose, Michael looks about 30 and is having what can only be called a bad
> hair day.  Calcifer is composed of far too much blue and green and is looming
> about 6 feet out and over the fireplace.  FInally, Howl is wearing a blue
> tunic with PINK trim (pink!) and elfin-type footwear.  This ensemble does not
> really go with the haystack of yellow hair he appears to have, plus he looks
> just senseless and ugly.  Not like one who spends 2+ hours in the bathroom
> every day.  The only this this illustrator managed to get right was the turnip
> face of the scarecrow.  APparently no one told him that the castle does not
> harbor a family of screech owls nor an electric guitar (see back cover).

Sounds awful.  But the cover of the UK hardback my parents have also interprets
Howl's "strange guitar" (that Ben Suliman can play so much better than Howl, of
course) as an electric one.  So I have always thought of it as electric.

>      I have been holding that in for a long time!  Has anyone else seen this
> edition?  I was so happy to finally acquire a much nicer hardcover with
> Calcifer in the shape of the castle behind a Howl with flying sleeves.  The
> other does the story no justice at all.

I've not seen that.  I can't even remember what the cover is on my paperback
Moving Castle.  I'm going to have to have a long look at my DWJ covers, it
seems.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.