Actors, covers, and an aside

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Aug 4 19:20:15 EDT 1999

>As for Janine from Deep Secret... I almost think Minnie Driver could
>do that part.  She's got the dark hair, and I bet she could do
>scathing really well, if given the chance...

I'm not so sure I'm with you on that one - I can see Minnie Driver as Maree
better than as Sophie, but Janine has to be skinnier.  Minnie Driver's got
that nice rounded face which doesn't strike me as Janine-ishly venomous at
all.

What about Robert Sean Leonard as Nick?  (For any others out there who are
as bad at matching names to faces as I am, Leonard was Claudio in Much Ado
About Nothing, and also in Dead Poet's Society).  Nick would have to have
that innocent, boyish look, and then you'd need a good actor to pull off
the -but-can-you-trust-him part!

On the covers, I really like the F & H cover that Courtney mentioned.  It
was the only one I'd seen too - I think we had it checked out of the
library for about four months - until I got the Berkeley pb from
Bibliofind.  What a come-down!  I'd love to see the artist who did
McKillip's Atrix Wolfe and Winter Rose let loose on F & H.  Generally an
author who seems to have done pretty well with covers and illustrations
(over this side of the Atlantic anyway) is Joan Aiken.  I have very old
copies of the earlier books (Puffin), and now Red Fox has re-issued them,
and both sets are good.  (To go back to a very, very long ago comment - and
this would be a spoiler for anyone who hadn't read all Joan Aiken's
Dido/Simon/Is books through Cold Shoulder Road - does anyone else see a
resemblance between Mitt of the Dalemark books and Simon?  Partly in
character, but also in terms of the fate that befalls them at the end.  I
had exactly the same gut reaction to Mitt's finding he was of the Undying
as I had to Simon ending up - ouch - Simon's worse -  more alone.  I keep
hoping Joan Aiken will write another book which will at least make it more
bearable.

Sorry for the digression. Back to covers - anyone else seen Sherwood
Smith's Crown Duel?  I really liked that one - only "tough chick" fantasy
type cover which would actually make me want to look twice at the book
(which, happily, lived up to the cover).

Hallie.
hallieod at indigo.ie

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley