covers

Peter W. Meek pwmeek at mail.msen.com
Wed Aug 4 08:31:48 EDT 1999

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 06:42:25 -0400, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones)) wrote:

> Denise<?> wrote:
>> Here's my DWJ cover directory:
>> http://www.sonic.net/mustang/dwj

>I love the idea of scanning in covers like this - but has anyone looked into
>      the copyright issues?

In general, putting something up on the Web is publishing. The
only way I can see to justify re-publishing book covers is to
make the images part of a review, where quite a bit of latitude
is allowed for quoting and copying. I've done this on many of
my book pages, and even on my page of quotes from books I like.
I have simply declared that if I quote an author, it should be
construed as being part of a favorable review of either a single
work (if it is so identified) or of that author's entire _ouvre_.

So go ahead and make up a simple web page that displays the
images which is headed by a statement that they are part
of a favorable review. (I like favorable; how can an artist
or author turn down a favorable review?) I suggest putting
this page in the same directory as the images and naming it
index.html so that someone going to the directory gets the
"review" page rather than a list of the files.

With his permission, Denise might even use Phillip's posting
as the review (couldn't be entirely favorable, though) and
make each title into a link to the picture file. That would
take about 5 minutes with a simple text editor.

In fact here it is. It needs a comment and link about the sfa-spell
cover though. If you *do* use Phillip's comments, you should get
his permission, and attribute to him properly.

Otherwise edit the text around the links to suit yourself.
Snip and save the text between the === lines and save to
a file called index.html (don't overwrite your own index-page;
I suggest mirroring your online directory structure on the
computer where your create your web pages.)

================begin==========
<head>
<title>DWJ cover reviews</title>
</head>
<h2>DWJ cover reviews</h2>

I have ever seen before is
 - my brother managed to obtain an
Avonova edition before it was published
over here, and it was passed around the
family many times before the Gollancz
edition was published - and I still think
of Gladys in terms of that picture.
In fact it took me several reads of the
book to realise that that picture
_doesn't_ represent anything that happened
in the book - Gladys didn't go
flying: she used her overgrown garden
as a wood and mapped it onto part of the
"very thorny wood" that separated the worlds.

 - captures
the atmosphere very well, if not very
accurate (well not in accordance with my
mental picture - and where's that
carpet?).

 is very good.  A more
American goon than had ever occured to
me - but still gets the character spot on.
Don't like the spaceship drawings,
though.  I always saw Howard's interest as
technical rather than artistic...

  Almost as bad as the Teens edition.
Dog's the wrong colour.  And if
that scene is the bit I think it is, Kathleen
has quite the wrong expression on
her face, and shouldn't still be holding the zoi.

 cover is better drawn than
the UK hardback cover (which ran for
several editions I think), but I'm not sure
I like the characters.

cover.  Nice concept, shame about the execution.