Covers

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 06:31:21 EDT 1999

> Here's my DWJ cover directory:
> http://www.sonic.net/mustang/dwj
>              Info on what I have scanned:
> Witch Week (my first DWJ!), Bullseye 1988 (art Pamela Patrick)
> The Lives of Christopher Chant, Bullseye 1990 (art Jim Warren)
> Dogsbody, Bullseye 1990 (Pamela Patrick)
> Archer's Goon, Berkeley Fantasy 1987 (artist ??)
> A Sudden Wild Magic, AvoNova 1994 (artist  ??)
> Stopping For A Spell, Puffin 1996 (David Gaadt)
> Charmed Life, Pocket Books 1980 (artist ??)

Thanks, Denise!  The only one of those I have ever seen before is Sudden Wild
Magic - my brother managed to obtain an Avonova edition before it was published
over here, and it was passed around the family many times before the Gollancz
edition was published - and I still think of Gladys in terms of that picture.
In fact it took me several reads of the book to realise that that picture
_doesn't_ represent anything that happened in the book - Gladys didn't go
flying: she used her overgrown garden as a wood and mapped it onto part of the
"very thorny wood" that separated the worlds.

I like the picture on Lives - captures the atmosphere very well, if not very
accurate (well not in accordance with my mental picture - and where's that
carpet?).

The picture on Goon is very good.  A more American goon than had ever occured to
me - but still gets the character spot on.  Don't like the spaceship drawings,
though.  I always saw Howard's interest as technical rather than artistic...

Dogsbody?  Almost as bad as the Teens edition.  Dog's the wrong colour.  And if
that scene is the bit I think it is, Kathleen has quite the wrong expression on
her face, and shouldn't still be holding the zoi.

The Witch Week cover is better drawn than the UK hardback cover (which ran for
several editions I think), but I'm not sure I like the characters.

Finally the Charmed Life cover.  Nice concept, shame about the execution.

Philip.

PS I love the idea of scanning in covers like this - but has anyone looked into
      the copyright issues?

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK