Covers too (WasRE: titles...)

Tue Aug 3 12:09:10 EDT 1999

>You aren't alone Helen  :)  I also *do* tend to judge a book by its
>cover and sometimes the cover just has to be overcome.  And sometimes I
>like the cover better than the book - I think of those Patricia Keneally
>Morrison Celts-In-Space books.  Gorgeous covers but the actual books
>turned out to not be my mug of java.  Still, I often pluck them from the
>bookstore shelf before I realize that I have no interest in the
>contents.
>
>I don't know the name of that illustrator who does those wonderful
>fantasy illustrations.  I've seen his/her work on the Year's Best
>Fantasy & Sci-fi anthologies, the Keneally Morrison books, all over the
>place.  The work is very High Fantasy.

I did know this name.  Now I can't remember.  I don't think I have any books
with his covers...don't like Celts-in-space, don't have Kushner's
_Swordspoint_ or _Thomas the Rhymer_...but I remember that his name always
conjures up images of Celtic fantasy, for some reason.  In fact, I'd
nominate his cover art as an example of tying text and cover together
closely, because as I think about it, almost all the stuff he's done has
been of those Celtic high fantasy things.  He does a lot of Diana Paxson's
books too.

One of my favorite cover artists doesn't do a lot of covers.  His name is
James Christensen, and he did the cover art for Sheri Tepper's True Game
novels--King's Blood Four, the Jinian books--but mostly he does, um, regular
art.  It's all very curvy and richly detailed.

>Tepid title and yick-covers can hinder but they won't stop, though.
>Sometimes I get very finicky over the cover illustrations to dwj books,
>but I know I'll be thrilled with the contents.
<snip>
>On the other hand, I really love the cover to my copy of Archer's Goon,
>showing the Goon hugely sitting in a chair having a snack and smirking
>toward the unsuspecting potential reader.  That's a *great* cover which
>does seem to capture the flavor that I get from the story.

That's the copy I have.  However, the first one I ever saw was a hardcover
edition which had a huge hulking man holding hands with a small boy--I think
they were either silhouettes or facing away from the viewer.  But based on
that cover, I didn't pick up _Archer's Goon_ for years!  I assumed VERY
wrongly what the story was about, based on that picture.

There's this American actor, Brian Thompson...that is, I don't know if he's
American or not, but I've seen him in all sorts of American TV shows.  He
looks a lot like the picture of the Goon from that paperback edition Elise
mentioned.  He was quite a fixture on the X-Files for a long time, playing a
murderous alien.  Just a side note.

I get very attached to books the way they were when I read them the first
time.  Like the hardcover editions of the Menolly books, which as I recall
are very plain and stylized...but for me, that's what I remember.  Or the
Riddlemaster trilogy--VERY dear to my heart--with the cover art that looks
like impressionistic oils.  It's not that they're objectively nice, but that
I have strong associations with them.

Melissa Proffitt