Dubious Dean (off topic)

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Mon Aug 2 12:45:14 EDT 1999

>"As one of Pamela Dean's biggest fans, I'm tempted to leap in and defend
>her work passionately. Unfortunately, I don't think Juniper et al is her
>best work. On the other hand, I was appalled by Tam Lin the first time I
>read it, but now it's one of my favorite novels, so I'm hesitant *not* to
>like Juniper in case I end up loving it and feel stupid that I didn't get
it the first couple of times through."

That you started out appalled by a book and then came around to love it
is the best defense I can imagine!  Juniper et al. is swept along by
strength of association.  I think I'll give these works another whirl.

Not only does this list introduce sooo many new-to-me authors, but also
it's great to rethink from another angle books I've read in past and go
back to them with new appreciation.  I really love that.