Information on subscribing to the Diana Wynne Jones Mailing List or accessing past archives can be found [on the mailing list page at Chrestomanci Castle]
Summaries of important discussions from the Mailing List
the short story list discussion
Which books you need in order to have all the short stories. Quoted from the list:
Except for "The Girl Jones," which I've never heard of, Unexpected Magic appears to collect every DWJ story (with a few exceptions) that hasn't already been collected in the recent Stopping for a Spell (reissued) and Mixed Magics (Chrestomanci) collections. This means that you only have to get these three books to collect just about every DWJ short story. The exceptions are "A True State of Affairs" (Dalemark), "Mela Worms," and "Slice of Life." Unexpected Magic also includes a few stories ("The Green Stone," "The Fat Wizard," and "Little Dot")
that haven't before been collected.
I've listed all the DWJ short stories that I'm aware of and noted in which collection
they might be found.
Here are the contents of Unexpected Magic:
- "The Girl Jones"
- "Nad and Dan Adn Quaffy" (ER, MA/BiS?)
- "The Plague of Peacocks" (WatW?, ER)
- "The Master" (ER, MA/BiS?)
- "Enna Hittims" (BiS?)
- "The Girl Who Loved the Sun" (MA/BiS?)
- "The Fluffy Pink Toadstool" (WatW?)
- "Auntie Bea's Day Out" (WatW?)
- "Carruthers" (WatW?)
- "What the Cat Told Me" (MA/BiS?)
- "The Green Stone"
- "The Fat Wizard"
- "No One" (WatW?, ER)
- "Dragon Reserve, Home Eight" (WatW?, ER, MA/BiS?)
- "Little Dot"*
- "Everard's Ride" (ER)
- From the new Firebirds anthology (Sep. 2003)
Not in Unexpected Magic:
Dalemark short story
- "The True State of Affairs" (MA, ER)
Chrestomanci short stories
- "The Sage of Theare" (MA/BiS?, MM)
- "Warlock at the Wheel" (MM)
- "The Stealer of Souls" (MM)
- "Carol O'Neir's Hundredth Dream" (MM)
- "The Four Grannies" (SfaS?)
- "Chair Person" (SfaS?)
- "Who Got Rid of Angus Flint" (SfaS?)
Uncollected short stories
- "Mela's Worm" (Arrows of Eros anthology)
- "A Slice of Life" (poem from Now We Are Sick)
- "The Shape of the Narrative in The Lord of the Rings" (ER)